Your hearing is a precious gift – one you need to take care of or run the risk of losing. An important part of hearing care is having your hearing checked periodically. It can sometimes be difficult to know whether or not a hearing test is needed.
The following questionnaire has been adapted from a self-assessment tool created by the American Academy of Otolaryngology. Please take the time to answer each question as accurately as possible:
- Do you sometimes hear people talking but simply have difficulty understanding what they are saying?
- Does it seem like the people around you mumble a lot?
- Do you struggle to hear clearly in background noise?
- Are you having trouble hearing conversation in small group settings?
- Is it challenging to describe your hearing situation to other people?
- Do others complain that you turn up the television or radio too loud, but you can’t hear it if it’s any quieter?
If you answered YES to two or more of these questions, …
…you may be experiencing Sound Voids™ and should have your hearing evaluated by a doctor of audiology. Through testing, an audiologist can confirm your perception of Sound Voids™ and tell you whether you have a hearing loss as well as its nature and extent. Early detection and treatment of hearing loss is very important and can affect how well a patient adapts to a hearing system. Don’t wait until old age to hear what you are missing.